SSC CGL 2020 is one of the most respective exams. In order to crack this exam, the candidate must know all the details regarding the syllabus and exam pattern. The distribution of marks in every subject allows you to plan your strategy, and you know which topic or chapter holds more weightage.
The syllabus for SSC CGL 2020 is set by STAFF SELECTION COMMISSION (SSC). With the help of this article, you will know about the SSC CGL exam pattern and syllabus. The candidate will get the detailed SSC CGL syllabus.
SSC CGL SYLLABUS TIER I 1
SSC CGL SYLLABUS TIER II 4
SSC CGL TIER III SYLLABUS 7
SSC CGL TIER IV SYLLABUS 7
SSC CGL SYLLABUS TIER I
According to the Staff Selection Commission (SSC), CGL tier 1 is conducted online, and the question is multiple-choice. The exam comprises of four sections containing 100 questions in all. The total marks for tier 1 are 200. The time duration that the candidate will get to complete the tier 1 exam is 60 minutes and 80 minutes for candidates with any disability.
The SSC CGL tier 1 syllabus compromises of four different sections:
- General Intelligence & Reasoning
- General Awareness
- Quantitative Aptitude
The details are defined in the following table:
|General Intelligence and reasoning||General Awareness||Quantitative Aptitude|
|Number/Symbol Analogy||History- Harappa Civilization Vedic culture,Medieval India and their important systems; India’s freedom movement and their leaders||Ratio & ProportionPercentage,InterestNumber System,Square roots,Averages,Problems||Synonyms &Antonyms,grammar skills,spelling error, comprehension passagesOne Word Substitution|
|Semantic Classification,Symbolic/Number Classification||Polity- Administrative, Legislative and judiciary of our CountryElection, Important constitution bodies like CAGSymbols of political parties, duties Responsibilities of the significant persons in the Parliament||Profit and LossDiscount,Mixture,|
|Figural Classification,Semantic Series,Number Series,Figural Series||Geography-about countries and their geographical detailsFamous Seaport and Airport and their location.||Time and distance,Time & Work,Basic algebraic identities of SchoolAlgebra Elementary surds,Graphs of Linear Equations|
|Problem Solving,Word Building,Coding & decoding||Biology-Important discoveries,Interesting facts about human body partsNutrition in Animals and Plants||Triangle and its various kinds of centers,Congruence and similarity of triangles,|
|Indexing,Address matching, Date & city matching,Classification of center codes/roll numbers||Chemistry- Characteristics of gases, atoms, moleculesChemistry in everyday life.||Regular Polygons,Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder,Sphere, Hemispheres,Rectangular Parallelepiped,Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base,|
|Space Visualization,Venn Diagrams,Drawing inferences|
Physics-Laws, major Inventions, and Discoveries.
|Complementary angles,Heights and Distances,Histogram,Data Analysis|
|Critical thinking,Emotional Intelligence,Social Intelligence||. Economy-Budget related information and terminologies,Important persons involved in the Economy of the Country and monetary institutions|
|General Knowledge, Current Affairs|
SSC CGL pattern for exam Tier I – some important points:
- Applicants should be alert while trying any question as there is negative marking for incorrect tries.
- As per the SSC CGL pattern for the exam, applicants can assume that there will be a deduction of 0.5 marks to each wrong answer.
- Applicants should have been gone through all the specifics with all the papers and practiced many previous year questions.
- Applicants should complete all vital subjects specified in the SSC CGL syllabus for Tier 1.
- The SSC CGL reasoning is a vast syllabus, and because of that, it needs your extra attention.
- The SSC CGL pattern for exam changes from time to time, making sure that you are updated.
- Aspirants are advised to take mock tests from time to time as it helps enhance your preparation by pointing out the sections you must work more.
SSC CGL SYLLABUS TIER II
The tier II of the SSC CGL is an objective exam and will be conducted through online mode. According to the SSC CGL pattern for the exam, tier 2 for the examination consists of four subjects.
- Quantitative Aptitude- This paper will consist of 200 marks in total. The duration will be 60 minutes.
- English- This paper will consist of 200 marks in total. The duration will be 60 minutes.
- Statistics- This paper will consist of 200 marks in total. The duration will be 60 minutes.
- General Awareness- Finance and Economics- This paper will consist of 200 marks in total. The duration will be 60 minutes.
The detailed syllabus for SSC CGL tier II is as follows:
|Quantitative Aptitude||English Language & Comprehension||Statistics||General Studies- Finance & Economics|
|Number System ProblemsPercentage||Spot the ErrorSynonyms /AntonymsSpelling, Idioms & PhrasesOne Word SubstitutionImprovement of sentences,The Active/ Passive voice of verbs,Conversion into Direct/ Indirect narrationShuffling of sentence parts in passages,Comprehension passage||Data distribution, calculation, a diagrammatic representation of data||Finance-Fundamentals of Finance & Accounting|
|Ratio & ProportionSquare roots,Averages||Mean, Mode and Median|
|Profit and LossDiscount||Deviation, Dispersion|
|Time and distance,Time & Work,Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra||Moments and relationships- skewness, kurtosis|
|Triangles, Polygons, Circles, Cylinders||Co-relation, regression|
|Bar graph, Histogram, Pie chart||Probability- theories, distribution|
|Sampling theory, index numbers, time series analysis|
|Variance||Economics-Macro & Micro Economics, Growth & ProgressMarket analysis- production, demand, supply,Indian Economy,Economic reforms,Money and banking,Role of Technology in improving the Economic area|
SSC CGL pattern for exam Tier II – some important points:
- Paper 4 – As stated in the SSC CGL exam pattern, Finance & Economics has a mark dispersal of 80 and 120, totaling up to 200.
- Paper-I and Paper-II are necessary for all posts.
- Paper-III will be for applicants applying for the post of Junior Statistical Officer (JSO) and qualified in Tier-I for this Post/Paper.
- Those candidates who are qualified for the posts of Assistant Audit Officer or Assistant Accounts officer are required to appear for paper IV.
- As per the SSC CGL pattern for exam aspirants, be prepared for the negative marking of 0.25 in paper II and 0.50 in the paper -I, paper II, paper III, and paper IV for each wrong answer.
SSC CGL TIER III SYLLABUS
According to the STAFF SELECTION COMMISSION (SSC), tier III of the examination will be a descriptive paper and conducted via pen and paper mode. The aim of conducting this exam is to test the candidates’ language proficiency, vocabulary knowledge, writing skills, and English grammar knowledge. Aspirants are supposed to write essays, letters, précis, applications, etc. The time allotted for this exam is 2 hours. This tier comprises of 100 marks in all.
SSC CGL pattern for exam Tier III – some essential points:
- As this exam will be bilingual, the candidates can choose any language Hindi/English, during the filing of the application.
- Candidates are supposed to score at least one-third of the full marks to pass the SSC CGL examination.
- For the specially-abled students, SSC CGL gives an additional time of 80 minutes.
SSC CGL TIER IV SYLLABUS
For tier IV, SSC CGL has performed skill tests that are required for the government posts. The aspirants who are successful in qualifying the tier I, II, III can appear for the tier IV.
The syllabus is depicted in the following table:
|SSC CGL Test||Description||Post|
|Data Entry Speed Test||8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depression per hourThis test will be conducted for a passage which will be 2000 critical depressions for fifteen minutes.This test is qualifying in nature and is conducted to test the typing speed of the candidate.Any candidate who is disabled orthopedically and opted for a tax assistant is exempted from appearing in the skill test. And who hasn’t applied for tax assistant are not exempted.Any candidate who is disabled for hearing and visually handicapped is not exempted from the skill test. Candidates with visual disabilities will be allowed for an additional time of 5 minutes.||This test is only for candidates who have applied for the post of Tax Assistants (Central Excise and Income Tax)|
|Computer Proficiency Test||The SSC will conduct the CPT as per the following modules:Word ProcessingSpread SheetGeneration of SlidesThe computer proficiency test is qualifying in nature.|
There is no exemption for any person with any disability.
|The Computer Proficiency Test will be conducted for the following posts:Assistant Section Officer of Central Secretariat Service (CSS)Assistant Section Officer (MEA)Assistant in Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) under the Ministry of Corporate AffairsAssistant (GSI) in the Ministry of Mines.|